Our vision for music is that we provide every child with high quality music experiences which engage and inspire them. We provide opportunities for all children to create, play, perform and enjoy music and to appreciate a variety of music styles. We aim for every child to leave Ouston Primary School with a range of musical skills, knowledge and an understanding and love of music which they can carry with them for the rest of their lives.
Click on any thumbnail below to view a larger image in our gallery slideshow
All children from Nursery to Year 6 receive music lessons from the Charanga music scheme which is supported by the Durham Music Service. The learning within this scheme is based on:
- Listening and Appraising,
- Musical Activities (including Creating and Exploring)
- Singing and Performing.
The lessons are designed to incorporate the aims of the National Curriculum and often link to class topics.
In addition to class lessons, children have the opportunity to participate in extra musical activities such as
- Weekly whole school singing practice
- Year 2 recorder club
- Key Stage 2 choir
- String instrument tuition
- Brass instrument tuition
- Year 5 – Samba drumming
- Year 6 – School of Rock and Pop
Additionally, there are several points every year in which we celebrate our school’s musical talent. These opportunities include:
- Harvest Festival assemblies
- Christmas Nativities
- Class Assemblies
- Sign2Sing charity event
- The Big Play (Durham Music Service)
- Choir performances at Durham Cathedral and within the local community
- Year 6 Celebration Evening