We recognize that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is as smooth as possible.
How we will support children with SEND when they are moving on to another class or leaving this school:
Before your child joins our Reception Year, if your child is already identified with have special educational needs or disabilities, we would work closely with the nursery during the summer term, visiting and observing your child in the nursery setting. We will attend/arrange meetings with parents, nursery staff and any outside agencies involved.
The named contact (outside agencies) working with your child during nursery may change on entry into school. You will be kept informed of any changes and introduced to new people.
If a child with SEND transfers to us from another school we would ask their school to pass on all relevant information to ensure a smooth transition.
As your child moves through the school, transition meetings will be held between staff to pass on and share information.
We work closely with local secondary schools and many strategies are in place to enable the pupils’ transition being as smooth as possible. These include:
- Discussions between ourselves and the receiving school prior to the pupil leaving.
- Children attending transition sessions.
- Additional visits can be arranged for pupils who need extra transition time in their new school.
- Visits/meetings can be arranged between pupils/parents/secondary school SENCO’s as needed.
- Information passed on to secondary schools regarding children’s needs.
If you would like to discuss your SEND requirements please contact the school and we will try our best to help you.